Thursday, June 02, 2005
SP 5 Questions1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
More of a yarn snob than not - but I'm allergic to wool, so I LOVE the amazing cottons, and extra soft blends (calmer is a personal favorite). But I'm forcing myself to get used to the natural fibers - especially cashmere, and merino, and now cormo. Oh, and silk. :) One note - alpaca makes me CRAZY itchy. Like fire ants crawling on my skin. So no alpaca, please! :)
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
Um, no. Crochet scares me, and spinning? It's the "dark side." ;)
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
As I stated above, I'm allergic to wool (oh, the horrors!) So anything scratchy gives me a rash, and alpaca makes me very grumpy. Other than that, though, I'm pretty much in the clear - don't like smoke, but it'll probably wash out, so not a huge worry. :)
4. How long have you been knitting?
4 or so years now!
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, for Amazon. Speaking of, I should update that sometime!
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I love vanillas, and anything flowery or citrus-y. :) Basically anything, I guess!
7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Yes. Especially for dark chocolate and haribo gummy products. But really, all candy is good candy, right? Oh - except that I hate anything coffee flavored. ICK!
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I've tried soapmaking, and that was fun, and I've made bath salts - but not for ages. I'm in law school now, so my free time is non-existent - most days I'm lucky if I get in any knitting! In the summer, though, I grow herbs, and tomatoes, and I love to cook...
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
MP3s definitely - I have George, the Ipod, and I love him. In terms of music, I'm pretty much all over the place - classical, opera, rock, classic rock, pretty much everything except rap and most country. :)
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
Love blues and greens - not so into purples, oranges, and yellows - they tend to clash with the coloring. I love earthy colors, and tend to like heathers more than jewel tones - but it all depends on the yarn!
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live with a roommate in an apartment across the street from my boyfriend. My life is completely controlled by my black kitty, Cricket.
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
At this point, I'll settle for making it through law school with some semblance of my sanity.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
Oh, that's a tough one. I really love some of the cashmere blends - like DB's cashmerino line, and the new Rowan Cashsoft. But there are so many yarns I haven't tried yet! I'd also love to knit with some of the new organic cottons - like blue sky - so amazingly soft!
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Not so big on traditional 'red heart' acrylic. Also not so big on the scratchy wools - at this point, I can't even wear merino wool against my skin, so anything scratchier only gets worn when it gets REALLY cold and I can handle a sweater + a turtleneck!
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Right now, I'm totally into colorwork. But based on my purchases at MD S&W, my obsession will soon change to arans. I'm also always knitting socks, and would love to try some of the lorna's laces and other amazing colorways in sock yarn, but my sock yarn stash is too big to justify the $$!
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I always have a pair of socks or mittens on the needles for "portable" knitting - but I would say that my favorite things to knit are more complicated things. I LOVE fair isle (like my dad's vest) - and I like traditional Aran designs. I'm not so big into lace (yet)...
17. What are you knitting right now?
Oh. Right now? I'm doing a lot of "cleaning up." Mom's mittens need thumbs, Dad's vest needs neck and arm edging, Mariah needs a new front, I've completely forgotten about Trinity, and then I have a few past "finished" projects that need some love and attention. And then, once I've been a good girl and have tidied up
18. What do you think about ponchos?
Some people can pull them off without looking goofy. Some people can't. I feel that I am definitely and unreservedly in the latter category.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Circular or DPNs all the way - I literally do not own any straight needles. I gave all my old ones to a friend who was learning to knit.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
All my DPNs are bamboo, but I'm thinking I should try metal to see if my sock knitting is faster (plus, I warp bamboo sock needles like crazy - apparently I hold onto them just a little too tightly!) For circs, I use the Needlemaster set, so those are all metal.
21. Are you a sock knitter?
I used to scoff at sock knitters, and now there is always a pair on the needles. Plus, if I make them short enough, I can wear them too!
22. How did you learn to knit?
I tought myself through the internet and with books. My first 2 sweaters I knit entirely through the back loop because I didn't know any better!
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
within the last year... but likely to keep getting older!
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
25. What is your favorite holiday?
It's a close tie between Fourth of July (I live in DC and LOVE the national fireworks) and Christmas... but I think Christmas pulls ahead because I love giving people gifts and baking obscene amounts of cookies. Plus, at Christmas you get a tree!
26. Is there anything that you collect?
Not really - except, of course, yarn.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
Probably lots - right now, I'd have to say past Rowan mags always have some great patterns, and some of the debbie bliss and jaeger patterns also. I have a lot of designing books, so I should probably get more "completed pattern" books for inspiration - oh, and I'm TOTALLY wanting fair isle pattern books - I saw some great ones at MD S&W, but I didn't buy them. I have AS' fair isle knitting, but would love to get my hands on some of the other great collections out there!
0 comments || #