Friday, May 11, 2007  

Sheep and Wool, Day 1

I know, I know - Sheep & Wool was a week ago. And one would think, given that I'm done with classes and am "a woman of leisure," that I could manage a few posts here and there. But I've actually been busier than I've been in a long time... but that's for a later post.

Part of the reason that I've been putting off this entry is that it was just so big... I took over 150 pictures, and how do you choose just 1 adorable sheep! But thanks to the furry alarm clock, I woke up at 5:40, so I figure this is the morning to go for it. I uploaded some photos, split them into a couple of entries, and am going with the tried-and-true "here are pictures I found on my camera" theme.

So I had a very successful sheep & wool - I got everything on my list, and I stayed in budget.

Mostly because my list/budget looked like this:

1. Cormo....... $ however much it takes.
2. Soap for gifts..... $20.



I may have bought just a little cormo. Which I promptly added to my already-healthy cormo stash. I haven't had the heart to add up all the yardage yet, but I may finally have enough cormo to knit the cormo I bought LAST year. What - you don't need to have a certain amount of "security-cormo" in your stash before you'll knit any?



Apparently Holly's list included lots of Socks that Rock - I tried to convince her that she had actually bought a few of these as a gift (for me, cough cough!), but she's WAY too smart to fall for that. And it's surprisingly difficult to snatch a skein of yarn when someone is hugging it.



I saw these displays in one of the barns - perhaps, in another setting, these could be cute. But when I saw them all in a row like this, all I could think of was that some taxidermist got a delivery of mutant, multi-colored, three-headed sheep.



Luckily, the real sheeps and goats were adorable and single-headed. AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!



I tried to think of a clever segue into this next section, entitled "First Lunch of the Day," but there really isn't any non-disturbing way to transition from cute sheep to yummy lamb. But I've always thought that if I'm going to eat meat (which I do,) I can't be squeamish about where it comes from.



And then there was the food. Pit lamb on the bbq, baby! (I had one of those sandwiches for second lunch.) First lunch, at about 10 am, was the amazingly delicious lamb sausage, modeled here by Erin...



... and then some funnel cake, modeled here by Kati, who really wishes I would stop sticking my camera in her face and would instead help her eat the pile of fried-goodness that is the funnel cake.



Fortified by our, ummm, "snacks," Kati and I headed over to the sheepdog demonstrations... my favorite part of the festival (besides, of course, the cormo!) S and I are so disappointed that we won't be able to go to the 2007 National Sheepdog Trials because we'll be just back from the honeymoon, and about to get on a plane for Minnesota...



"Yippie! Here come the sheep!!"






And after a successful demonstration, Scott-the-sheepdog ran over and sat in his water container. He did the same thing the next day too, so apparently he just likes to cool down after his workout!



This is what happens when you stuff a teeny little bit of cormo, a tshirt, and some soap into a very large backpack. (This was during SECOND lunch. It was a good day.)

Kati was feeling a bit down (maybe due, in part, to the fact that I dragged her out of the aerobed in my living room approximately 3 hours after her head hit the pillow. But one cannot be late to Sheep & Wool lest one miss out on the cormo!) So despite being sleep-deprived, Kati was a trooper, and I figured that looking at cute sheepies can't fail to make you feel better, so we headed to the barns.



baaah baaah black sheep!



Whistling innocently... I may have accidentally picked up business cards for 2 local cormo dealers farms... Wooly Booly Cormos in Bristow, Virginia; and Angel Crossing Farm in Damascus, Maryland.



That, my friends, is my entire index finger stuck in the fleece of this beautiful sheep. I don't believe I had actually touched the sheep either - his coat was that thick!!



Awwww - little chocolate lamb!!



Elspeth was a complete b*tch who spent 1/2 her budget, found amazing yarn, and managed to not accidentally buy an entire sheep's worth of cormo (despite racing me to the booth!) She was very tempted by a new spinning wheel, but apparently her wheel at home could tell she'd been shopping around, so it decided to behave. Also, as a side note, I managed to NOT rip that skirt off of her and steal it. But only because I'm knitting my own skirt in Rowan Denim (and I have the blue hands to prove it!)



I got this for a steal at a basket-weaver's booth... I think my mom will love it, and since her birthday is coming up soon, it just seemed like a no-brainer. In fact, I may give it to her early - it's very delicate, and I'm concerned that it'll get damaged in the great-furniture-rearranging of 2007... (more on that later!!)



The sum total of my cormo stash. Well, except for the leftovers from my Refined Raglan. Cat included for scale...


0 comments || #




patterns for sale:


ireland cardigan


yarn for sale:

destashing!




email me:
maevezana~at~yahoo.com



finished:

Hand-Dyed Yarns

2007
2006
2005
2004


archives:

October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010


categories:

Abby
Alpine Lace
Astrakan Cardigan
Baby Gifts
Camping
Cricket
Dad's Vest
Denim Skirt
Dyeing
Elizabeth I
Florida
FMMC
Gathering Intentions
Grandma's Blanket
Henry VIII
Inspiration
Ireland
Ireland Cardigan
Ireland Scarf
Lily of the Valley
Linen Towels
Monarch of the Glen
Multi-Directional
Scarves

orangecicle
Print o' the Wave
R's Scarf
Random
Rogue Cardi
Sewing
Sheep and Wool
Sheepie Blanket
Silk Shrug
Socks
Tangled Yoke
Tilted Duster
Union Square Market Pullover
Wedding
Wild Apple
Yarn for Sale