Monday, October 06, 2008
WOOOT!!!S spent the weekend in Minnesota catching up with his family, which left me with huge spaces of time to fill with knitting. My goal? Finish something. Anything.
So I tackled the Little Monster Dale sweater. First, I headed to the local fabric store and picked up some buttons (making sure they were washable)...
I love these buttons. They work for either gender, they are sturdy (so they shouldn't snap off and get eaten, God forbid), and they were the right size. Oh, and they were cheap AND on sale!
After the button-shopping expedition, I settled in to the finishing work. Dale patterns are REALLY fiddly. You sew down plackets, you knit facings, you sew down hems... lots of little details. This, for example, is what the armhole seam looks like.
But I kept on with the fiddly bits, and kept plugging away at the button bands, the seams, the neckband, the buttons, the weaving-in-of-ends...
And ended up blocking this at about 10 pm last night. I think I can say that I have NEVER done this much detailed finishing on a sweater. Do I think all of my seams need to be covered by facings? No. But I do think that forcing myself to attend to all of these picky little details will make me that much better- after all, every project will benefit from a little extra TLC during those final finishing steps.
And since I had the blocking board out, I blocked the Little Monster Aran. Two baby sweaters ready for the Little Monster! Now, if those borders for the sheepie blanket would just knit themselves...
1. Sew 3 baby bumpers for crib
2. Baby aran sweater
3. Baby Dale of Norway sweater
1. Dad's Christmas Vest (cut steeks, neck and arm bands, sew in ends, block)
2. Sheepie Blanket (finish borders, assemble blanket)
3. Finally hem living room and dining room curtains
4. Socks for S
1. Shaun the Sheep mobile for Little Monster
2. Chicken Hats for S and Little Monster (don't ask... really no rational explanation)
3. Sew sleep sacks for Little Monster
4. Sew ring sling for Little Monster
5. Sew crib sheets for Little Monster
Labels: Baby Gifts
0 comments || #